Saturday, October 21, 2006

My sleep schedule is royally screwed.

I've been falling back to old habits and crashing around 7 or 8am after that brief spell of early rising last week. It happens, usually when an all nighter busts in to meet a deadline, and it's not a big deal really. I work better through the night and don't mind waking up mid afternoon when my days are limited to 'wake up, get some food, go to the office, work, go home and sleep'.

And then there are days like today. For starters we have a birthday party to attend for our niece Emma, she's turning a year old today. The barbecue is at her family's home in New West at 3:30-ish which is very reasonable for us. Get up, shower, jump in a cab.

Now to complicate things, there's a cool auction in nearby Coquitlam. Blade: The Series was recently cancelled and now all their props are on the block. It's not that I'm a fan of the show looking for a memento, props auctions are good to check out for a couple of reasons. First, we do shows all the time. Ian has Canadian Content and Urban Improv and shows like Swordplay and we're always looking for decent props to use on stage so this (along with Halloween's abundance of cheap wigs) is a good time to stock up on cheap and useful treasures. Second, set designers tend to have a good eye for cool looking things. Unique furniture, a flashy area rug, fabrics and accessories that you wish were at the thrift store instead of the multitudes of macrame owls and chipped knick knacks.

The auction is at noon and I really want to go so I got to bed at 4am instead of the usual 8 o'clock. Now here's a thing about the human brain, or heck, my brain, when it comes to suddenly adjusting sleep cycles: going to bed a few hours earlier than expected will be taken as a cue to nap instead of sleeping straight through.

I woke up at 7:30 from some dream and then I couldn't get back to sleep. In fact, my brain went into overdrive and started coming up with ideas for art projects, story ideas, a letter to Brian, a comment on a friend's blog, route plans for the trip to the auction followed by how to word directions to the party after that, how to get any bought objects home, how to explain why you've brought a 'lot of bones', some breakaway glass and a rolled up persian rug to a birthday party in the sticks and Jesus, what if a neighbour's kid went and crashed into the breakaway glass and then ambulances got involved...

You get the idea. So I got up and read the paper. It's really all I could do. Time to get the day started. It'll probably be a rough one.

No comments: