Thursday, October 26, 2006

Crappity crap crap! I had an hour left to do on these pages at 15 minutes before the FedEx drop. Ugh. I'll finish these up after I've had some sleep and have them out for Friday's run.

While I was working today OLN was playing an episode of Long Way Round, the show about Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman's motorcycle tour around the world. We picked up the DVD last spring so I had already seen the series but the episode playing this afternoon was the one that had struck a chord the most in regards to how I've felt about work. The two stars (and their camera guy) were literally bogged down in Mongolia, struggling through mud and rocky terrain, yelling at their bikes, swamped in depression over the delays in their schedule, overwhelmed by the thousands of miles left to go.

It's kinda been like that at the drawing board. Granted, my Ulaan Baatar was last year where I was seriously questioning whether I should continue at all. My health was suffering, my relationships were suffering and there were more than a few mornings where I was crying at the board in frustration over not being fast enough or constantly missing details that had to then be 'fixed in the trade'. It was bad but I got through it, thanks largely due to getting married and having a couple of weeks to just sit on a beach and not think about work (it gave my hand time to get better too). But a small bit of thanks also goes to watching this series, seeing others go through so much crap and suceed was an inspirational boost I really needed then.

So today I was frustrated at having missed another target and then this show comes on and things fell back into perspective. It's really not that far to the end now, the road's still rough in places but the potholes are much smaller. Soon it will be tarmac, soon the city skyline will appear and there will be friends and champagne pops and that great feeling of accomplishment, of setting out to do this crazy huge thing and actually getting it done.

It's going to be good.

(God, I miss Ian right now)

No comments: