Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm glad that Michael Walsh didn't take my comments too personally the other day. He sent me a very nice e-mail:

Ms G.,

Just a quick note to thank you again for taking the time to chat with me on the radio. Comics remain one of those wonderful topics that people can agree or disagree about with cordial passion. I once knew a first-generation comics fan named George Henderson, a former Canadian paratrooper who'd served in the Korean war.
He published an early comics "journal" called Captain George's Whizzbang in the late 1960s out of his Memory Lane comics shop in downtown Toronto's Markham St. Village shopping district. He referred to comics, affectionately, as "the toys of the dead."
What he meant, of course, was that comics were artifacts of a time gone by - childhood - and of moments of pleasure buried in the past. I think George would have been pleased to know that comics were no so much dead as comatose and that the thrilling days of yesteryear, when big kids (a.k.a. adults) could enjoy comics (graphic novels?) openly and shamelessly, would return.


Thanks Michael.

Got Pages 13 and 14 roughed out. Tackling a bit of insomnia right now. Tends to happen on deadlines. Lulu heads home today. I'm gonna miss that lil' hellion.

No comments: